Sunday, September 23, 2012

Tasty Earthy-Crunchy-Healthy-Hippie Molasses Cookies


I’ve been refined-sugar-free for about a month, and yes I’ve had dreams wherein I have devoured cannolis the size of burritos.  So far, I’ve satisfied my sweet tooth mainly with dried fruit, nuts, honey teas and banana bread.  But it’s time to pig out on cookies.  So here we go. 


I found this recipe on the interweb.  I made some alterations to make it suit my hippie wannabe desires. These things turned out to have a very pleasantly strong molasses / gingery flavor.  I think they will go wonderfully with my 10 a.m. breaktime coffee at work.  And with the exception of the shortening, they are super healthy!  (Even vegan!)

Molasses Cookies:

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat germ*
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

3/4 cup molasses
2 – 3 tsp blackstrap molasses (optional**)
1/2 cup shortening

* I was surprised to find that the wheat germ in the hippie / health food section of the supermarket was much cheaper than its counterpart in the main store.  I bought some Bob's Red Mill wheat germ at $2.79 per pound.  The stuff over in the cereal section was like $7.50 per pound. 

** I accidentally bought some blackstrap molasses a few weeks ago, thinking “blackstrap” was merely a brand name.  I decided to throw a couple of teaspoons of it into this recipe just to begin to use it up.  

Directions:

Assemble the dry ingredients together and set aside. 


In saucepan, slowly bring molasses to a boil over low heat.   


Remove from heat and add shortening, whisking until melted.  Add heated wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well. 



Let cool for at least an hour or so.  (It will rise a little during this time.)

Roll into balls and press down on ungreased cookie sheet with either a fork or the bottom of a drinking glass.  Bake at 350° for 8 minutes or so, depending on the size of the cookies.  (Mine needed 10 or 12 minutes, but I think I made them rather large; next time I'll try smaller ones.) 



Prepare yourself for a wonderful aroma as these bake.  Enjoy with coffee or tea, and a healthy dose of self-righteousness.

No comments: