Thursday, September 20, 2012

Quitter Chronicles: #4 : Phase In

As my stock of foods containing sugar began to dwindle, I started to phase in sugar-free foods and foods sweetened with unrefined sugar. 

Mainly this involved taking care to buy the usual groceries but sticking to options lacking sugar.  For instance, tortilla wraps.  Most brands that I looked at contained high-fructose corn syrup, but I managed to find a couple of brands that didn’t have any sugar listed in the ingredients. 

I also started to make more stuff from scratch, to stock up for when I would need them.  I made hummus and tomato soup and threw them in the freezer.  Instead of buying granola bars, I bought almonds to keep on hand for snacks.  I bought more fruit and veggies that I could conveniently eat raw. 

I wanted to wait until I’d truly begun to live refined-sugar-free before I started eating sweets that were sweetened with raw sugars.  But in preparation, I found some dark chocolate sweetened with raw sugars, and I found a few recipes for desserts that I could make with honey or molasses. 

Basically, my point is that in the weeks leading up to my sugar cleanse, I started easing into a life without sugar.  Simple enough, but I thought I’d tell you, just to tell you.

No comments: