Saturday, September 1, 2012

Quitter Chronicles: #2 : Inventory


Inventory.

After deciding to try to cut refined sugars out of my diet, I spent a couple of days paying attention to what I ate.  I did this very casually with no extensive notes or anything like that.  I just made mental notes of the foods in my pantry that contained sugar. 

Some were surprising.  Pasta sauce and salsa.  Vitamin C and Calcium supplements.  Half & Half.  Salty crackers. 

Some were obvious.  Granola bars.  Peanut butter cups.  Sweet & sour sauce. 

Then I paid attention to stuff I ate at restaurants, or things that people at work shared with me.  Probably that dressing on that salad at that restaurant has sugar.  That cupcake my coworker made definitely did.  I wonder about the dough on that pizza.

Step one in my sugar cleanse was merely to think about sugar and where it lurks.  It was eye opening, and afterwards I felt a little better equipped for the road ahead.

No comments: