Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Quitter Chronicles: Intro : Why Sugar Gets the Ax


July. 

Sugar is bad for us.  We know this.  It rots our teeth, makes us fat, and turns us into mood-swinging slaves.  I am a sugar addict.  (Well, recovering now.)

In July I started seriously considering giving up refined sugars after I read in a few places that white sugar and other processed sugars can contribute to muscle pain and depression. 

I have been dealing with chronic muscle pain in my upper back for about 20 years.  Over the past year or so, I’ve tried all kinds of medical approaches to ameliorating the pain: Anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, cortisone injections, a TENS unit, anesthetic patches, traction.  None of these treatments did much good if any.  So, when the doctor was out of ideas, I decided it was time to jump into the world of voluntary diet restrictions and give up refined sugars.

This promises to be a huge undertaking.  Sugar is in just about everything you can buy at the supermarket.  A refined-sugar-free diet requires a level of vigilance in the reading of ingredients lists that I would never have dreamed of.  To be successful in cutting out refined sugars, one will need to cook mostly from scratch.  Even some canned beans contain sugar; that means that even a simple meal of beans and rice is no longer so simple. 

On one hand, there’s something really appealing about the idea of cooking with only fresh vegetables and whole grains.  But for me there is the hurdle of my daily struggle with pain.  Cooking kills my back.  All the standing at the counter, chopping vegetables, washing dishes, and standing at the stove ignites a fire in my shoulder blades that generally forces me to take long breaks in between kitchen tasks to lie on the living room floor and whimper.  Even shopping hurts. 

So, for me, the first step in giving up refined sugars is to think long and hard about it.  This isn’t merely an adjustment of the foods I eat.  This promises to be a big challenge to my resolve, not just in my eating, but in all my habits and routines from shopping to cooking to socializing. 

In the coming weeks, I hope to share this journey with you in it’s many shades and angles.  We’ll see how it goes!

No comments: