Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cashew Frosting

Since cutting refined sugars out of my diet, I have been on an inspiring adventure which has involved discovering some of the wonderful things there are to eat that are healthy AND delicious.

Case in point:  Cupcakes with Frosting; made with almond flour and no sugar.


I'm standing on the shoulders of giants, however.  The recipes I've been using have all come from the blogs of folks around the country who struggle with major food allergies and other health problems that require them to change their diets.  Here's an inspiring website you can look at if you're interested in beautiful photos of attractive and delicious food.

And that's where I got the recipe for these tasty cupcakes.  I used this recipe for Strawberry Cake, but left out the strawberries because I didn't have any.  And I used mini-muffin tins instead of an 8" pan.  Then I followed this recipe for Vanilla Cream Frosting.  This is what astounds me:  The frosting is made of cashews, and it tastes great.  I had a brain fart, though, and neglected to add the vanilla.  I also didn't have any apple juice, so I used orange juice.  Even though I barely followed the recipe at all, I found this stuff to be really decadent and tasty. 

No comments: